The Health Effects of Light
by: David Miller
There are several basic needs that all living things need to survive. Items such as food, water and air are all important to the health and well-being of living things. However, another important component to healthy living is the need for light. Whether natural light from the sun or indoor lighting from a lamp, light is important for the well-being of all living things.
For people, they would be able to survive with solely indoor lighting, however, the psychological effects of the Sun is quite important. Researchers have concluded that people feel better when the Sun is shining than when it is cloudy or rainy. Indoors, lighting can have a similar effect on the feelings that people have. A well-lit room can be much more appealing than a dimly lit room, which can affect the attitudes of people.
While the Sun can have many positive effects, it is not without its potential dangers. Prolonged exposure to the Sun without protection can result in skin problems ranging from sunburns to sun poisoning to running the risk of developing Skin Cancer. Therefore, it is important to minimize your exposure to the Sun, to reduce the risk of skin related dangers.
We have asked our lighting professionals to assemble some resources on indoor and outdoor lighting sources, in order for you to be more informed about this important topic:
Sun Health Risks
- Overexposure to the Sun – EPA information on the health effects to people of being overexposed to the Sun.
- UV Radiation Effects – Informative article from the World Health Organization providing information on the health effects that come with UV radiation from the Sun.
- Health Risks from the Sun – Useful tips and information on the risks of being in the Sun and preventative measures that should be taken.
- Summer Health Hazards – Helpful story from ABC News about six common summertime health concerns and how to be properly protected.
- Too Much Sun? – Information on the potential problems of having too much exposure to the Sun.
- Babies and the Sun – Article giving parents information on the problems associated with babies being exposed to the Sun for lengthy periods.
- Sun Safety – Information on the steps that can be taken to keep people protected from UV radiation from the Sun.
- Sun Protection – Simple steps and recommendations that people can do to be protected from Sun overexposure.
- Skin Cancer Prevention – Informative page from the CDC giving useful preventative measures that people can take to be protected from potential Skin Cancer.
- Sun Protection and Sunscreens – Useful article giving information on protecting your skin from the harmful rays from the Sun.
- Sun Wise for Kids – Information for parents and kids on how to be safe while still having fun in the Sun.
- Summer Sun Protection for Kids – Helpful information for kids on how to be protected from the Sun while outdoors in the summertime.
Lack of Sun Effects
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – Information on the problems associated with the lack of sunshine.
- Lack of Sun – Explanation of how a lack of sunshine has an effect on the human body.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder – In depth explanation of how the lack of sunshine impacts the body.
Proper Indoor Lighting
- Effects of Light on the Body – Useful article providing information on how indoor and outdoor light affects the human body.
- Indoor Lighting for Vision – Helpful page with information and ideas on how proper indoor lighting can help good eyesight.
- Energy Efficient Lighting – Guide to providing your home with energy efficient lighting.
- Health Effects of Indoor Lighting – Informative review page covering the various health effects that can arise from indoor lighting.
- Indoor Lighting Designs – Useful government sponsored page providing information on various ways that you can be energy efficient in your indoor lighting plans.
- Healthy Lighting – Page providing information on how healthy lighting can affect the human body.
Indoor Lighting Dangers
- Indoor UV – Informative page providing information on various regular devices around the home and office, and potential radiation concerns.
- Dermatological Risks – Information on the types of risks involved with indoor lighting.
- Indoor UV Radiation – Useful page with warnings about potential UV Radiation dangers.
- Lighting and People – Helpful information on the effects of lighting on people and on spaces.
- Lighting and Reading – Page providing information on the dangers of the eye on reading in dim light.
General Healthy Lighting Resources
- Lighting Research Center – College based organization which dedicates time and effort into research on healthy lighting.
- Better Lighting – Information on eye disorders and the need for better lighting.
- Work Station Lighting Helpful page with suggestions on how to be healthy when using a computer.
- Eye Strain and Computers – Informative page with information on how to reduce eye strain while working on computers.